Gastroenterology and Endoscopy
Dr. Michael Peters
Gastroenterology focuses on disorders of the digestive system. The digestive system includes the alimentary tract from the mouth to the anus (oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, rectum) and organs like the liver, gallbladder and pancreas.
In many countries, including Germany, gastroenterology is a sub-specialisation of internal medicine, which means physicians who are specialised in gastroenterology have to qualify first in internal medicine before they start their gastroenterology training.
- Upper endoscopy - Gastroscopy
- Lower endoscopy - Colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, rectoscopy, proctoscopy
- Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy of the biliary tree, removal of gallstones
- Ultrasound - Liver, pancreas, kidneys, gall bladder, stomach, intestine,
lymph nodes, retroperitoneum
- Manometry - Oesophagus and rectum
- Breath tests - Helicobacter, lactose intolerance, fructose intolerance
- For the treatment of obesity - Stomach balloons